A Note on Links: When reading back posts, please be aware that links have a short half-life. You can find working links to all of the MHS resources on our Educator Resources Page.

Thursday, January 20, 2022

Looking for Recommendations from High School Teachers

 I received this question from a high school teacher who's new to teaching Montana history: 

I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for teaching the course as one semester to high school students. Specifically, I'm curious about what text(s) are used at the HS level. Between the students who used the Montana: Stories of the Land text in Middle School and the upper class people taking the course (some of whom have mentioned that the book seems geared toward younger students), I'd like have other options available.

She continued: 

I see that there have been some Montana magazine articles that have been developed into lessons. I like this idea. Additionally, there are so many fantastic, and accessible, books from the likes of Ellen Baumler and Dave Walter (and many others). Do you know of anyone who has used these types of resources at the HS level?

I pointed her to the resources MHS has developed for high school, and also suggested organizing the course by topics instead of chronology, but I don't have anything to share that even resembles a syllabus, so I want to crowd source the question. 

So--high school teachers: What resources (and/or strategies) do you use specifically for semester-long courses focused on Montana history/studies or Native Studies? And if you are willing to share your syllabus, all the better! I'll compile your answers and share them out. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment