A Note on Links: When reading back posts, please be aware that links have a short half-life. You can find working links to all of the MHS resources on our Educator Resources Page.

Monday, December 13, 2021

Podcasts for high school social studies

 When Whitehall high school social studies teacher Merrick Parnell offered to write a guest post on podcasts, I leapt at the chance. So--with no further ado, I'll turn it over to Merrick!

I love to use podcasts to supplement the content in my social studies classes. It creatively presents the information and allows students to create their own mental pictures. I will also have students create a visual depiction of the podcast by drawing a picture that represents what’s being said or having them take notes.

Here are a few of the podcasts I like to use:

History

  • Stuff You Missed in History Class: The podcasts do a good job of covering both World and US History topics.
  • Richest Hill: This is a great podcast about Butte’s mining history and its impact on the current Superfund Site. The podcast also has a great episode on Frank Little that I like to use when teaching about Labor History.

Government

  • More Perfect: This is a great podcast that goes into the constitution and the supreme court of the US and covers different decisions. 

Current Events

Economics

  • NPR’s Planet Money: This podcast is great to teach economics in a current event setting. The podcast takes a different economic event and applies it to the world. 

It's Martha, back again. Do you use podcasts too? Do you have any favorites to add, or other activities to do with them? Let me know and I'll share.

No comments:

Post a Comment