A Note on Links: When reading back posts, please be aware that links have a short half-life. You can find working links to all of the MHS resources on our Educator Resources Page.

Thursday, November 14, 2019

I subscribe to "Rockies Today" and, boy, am I glad I do

Rockies Today compiles "The big stories up and down the Rocky Mountains, curated by Mountain West News." What that means is that every day I get an email with the top headlines. To be fair, I don't always have a chance to dive into it, but when I do, I find gems, many of which look at historical events or movements to explain the present. For example:
I also find articles about Indian Country and sovereignty. For example:
  • Two stories about the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women movement and fears that the Keystone Pipeline will bring more sexual violence to nearby reservations (one from the Montana Free Press and the other from The Revelator, a publication of the Center for Biological Diversity, and
  • "Tribal sovereignty and coal mine reclamation clash," a collection of articles about the dispute between the Navajo Nation, which owns "Montana’s largest coal mine," and the State of Montana, which refused to grant an operating permit if the tribe didn't waive sovereign immunity.
I wouldn't have time to find these stories on my own but am always richer for having read them. If that sounds like you, you can subscribe to get regular emails. You might also assign your students to find articles of interest simply by visiting the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment