A Note on Links: When reading back posts, please be aware that links have a short half-life. You can find working links to all of the MHS resources on our Educator Resources Page.

Thursday, October 31, 2019

More Métis Recommendations

Earlier in the month I posted on resources I'd discovered, or that my colleagues created, to teach Métis culture and history. I also asked you to send in resources you used or knew about.

Helena elementary librarian Marla Unruh wrote to let me know that "the 5th book in the Birchbark House series by Louise Erdrich, Makoons, introduces a Métis character and includes in the story details about dress, houses, those big-wheel wagons, and culture." I'm excited to read this. If it's anywhere as good as Birchbark House (for which OPI has created a model lesson plan), I'm in for a treat.  


Erik Holland, Curator of Education at the State Historical Society of North Dakota, pointed me toward the graphic novel, Louis Riel: Patriot with the caveat that he had not yet read it. However, he wrote: "I have a copy of Red River Mission: The Story of a People and their Church, by the same author and it appears to be a well documented 'graphic novel' which might engage students."

No comments:

Post a Comment