A Note on Links: When reading back posts, please be aware that links have a short half-life. You can find working links to all of the MHS resources on our Educator Resources Page.

Thursday, September 26, 2019

Best of, Elementary Edition, 2019


Every spring, I ask folks to share their favorite Montana history of IEFA lesson, the one they would absolutely do again. Go here for the high school teachers' responses and here for the middle school teachers' responses. Read on for the responses from elementary school teachers with some notes from me, in brackets.

Mary Ellen Igo, K-2, Belgrade, wrote: "I read Brave Wolf and the Thunderbird [by Joe Medicine Crow] to my students. We discussed the story, and especially the artwork in the book. I reminded them of all the beautiful colors and detail in the illustrations, and how they might have made those colored paints from things found in nature.  Then they drew a picture and we made a class book.  I have class books from almost ten years now, and they are beautiful to look at!"

Many of you wrote in praise of our hands-on history footlockers. Some commented on the whole program: "I love how all of the trunk materials are available online, it helps me find applicable lesson plans even when I don't have the trunk." Others gave shout-outs to particular footlockers, for example, "Montana State Symbols."  Kimberly Winkowitsch, who teaches K-8 at Hidden Lake Elementary, wrote "I ordered two footlockers from the Montana Historical Society. One was on Lewis and Clark, and one was on Native Americans. I love these footlockers and will definitely do it again next year.

A K-12 art teacher wrote: "In art, we did a life-size paper mache grizzly bear. Next year we hope to make a life-size colt or bison calf in paper mache."

Ron Buck, who teaches 5-6 grades in Shelby, wrote: “My best IEFA lesson is the Art of Storytelling. ... It captivates my students and allows them to understand the importance of expressing themselves and their heritage through storytelling.”

One teacher does a Blackfeet Research Project: "students choose from a list of topics (Blackfeet Tribe) then find 12-18 facts about that topic and put it on a poster board, citing information and finding a picture to represent that topic. Then displayed.  The students love learning about about their surroundings and are intrigued by what they learn and the topics their peers have chosen." 

Another makes sure that all students can find Montana's 7 reservations on a map (and list the tribes associated with those reservations). [I think every fourth grader should be able to do this. Montanatribes.org has online activities to help students learn this.]

It's not too late! If you have a lesson you think other teachers should know about, for any grade, drop me a line!

No comments:

Post a Comment