A Note on Links: When reading back posts, please be aware that links have a short half-life. You can find working links to all of the MHS resources on our Educator Resources Page.

Friday, October 3, 2014

Columbus Day Is Fast Approaching

It’s been a few years since I’ve written a Columbus Day post, but that’s because I don’t have much new to offer. Still, I had a recent request for ideas on how to teach the holiday, so I thought I’d reshare this 2012 post, which still feels relevant for those looking for material on Columbus (or the Columbian Exchange). 


Not mentioned in that post are the very good resources from the Zinn Education Project on "Rethinking Columbus" or this recommendation from Ginny Weeks from Blackfoot Community College: "Morning Girl by Michael Dorris, is a good book which I have read to classes on Columbus Day.  It's very well written, easy to read aloud, and appropriate for children, but it works for all ages.  Here's link to information about it."

If you have other suggestions for recognizing Columbus Day, do send them along and I'll share with the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment