In cooperation with the Indian Education Division of the Montana Office of Public Instruction, and art educators Marina Weatherly and Jon Bercier, MHS created curriculum packets, which include
- Prints of selected images from the exhibit
- PowerPoints and scripts
- Standards-based lessons designed for K-3, 4-6, and 7-12
- Sample pages from actual ledger books, to copy and use as canvases
- Background information for teachers.
And the folder containing all this great material can be unfolded to become a poster for display.These packets were sent to all Montana public school libraries in October 2012, so check your library. Not only did we send this curriculum to Montana public schools, but we’ve posted it online.
Here’s what I especially love about this curriculum:
- It includes lessons geared toward all grades, including K-3 (sometimes our elementary teachers get left out)
- It is keyed to the Art Standards as well as to the Essential Understandings
- The art lessons include history and reading as well as art
- The lessons are both detailed and flexible—and, especially the K-6 lessons, provide multiple options for teachers
- The PowerPoints can stand alone as their own 50-minute lesson (to be used in social studies classes)—or to complement the larger art curriculum
- The images are stunning.
P.S. While supplies last, you can request your personal packet by emailing email@example.com.