A Note on Links: When reading back posts, please be aware that links have a short half-life. You can find working links to all of the MHS resources on our Educator Resources Page.

Monday, May 27, 2019

Summer Reading

Before I shut Teaching Montana History down for the summer, I decided to look back at what our most popular posts have been. I found the results interesting, and thought you might too. And I thought the list might be especially useful for new subscribers, who want to dig into the archives during summer break.

Teaching Montana History in Fourth Grade (April 28, 2014) is a post that I wrote in 2014, trying to imagine a fourth grade curriculum. In 2017, I revisited the topic with Teaching Montana History in Fourth of Fifth Grade, Take 2. I think this second take is better than the first, even though it hasn't gotten as many life time hits. So if you are interested in the topic, that's where I'd start--and then I'd check out "Montana Today: A Geographical Study," a new unit we created to kick off an elementary classroom's study of Montana history.

In 2016, I discovered Evidence Analysis Window Frames, a primary source analysis tool--Evidence Analysis Window Frames created by Glenn Weibe, self-described "social studies nerd, consultant, tech guy," and author of the blog History Tech. You all are obviously as enamored by them as I am, because this is my blog's second most read post of all time. 

Teaching Indian Literature and/or Literature about Indians, also from 2016, asks "Should we teach fictional books about Indians by non-Indian authors?" 

These older posts have an advantage when it comes to the numbers game--they've been around longer so more people have had a chance to read them. Here are some of the most read posts from the last year:
My favorites are always the posts summarizing your best lessons, which you share with me when taking the annual year-end survey (there's still time--and prizes to be won! Please take a moment to complete the survey now.) Here are last year's answers to question, "Describe (in brief) the best Montana history or IEFA lesson or project or resource you taught this year--the one you will make time for next year no matter what." 
P.S. There are still spots in "Making It Real: --A Montana Historical Society Workshop for Elementary and Middle School Teachers," June 24, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in Helena. Participants will earn 6 OPI Renewal Units. Learn more and then register.





No comments:

Post a Comment