A Note on Links: When reading back posts, please be aware that links have a short half-life. You can find working links to all of the MHS resources on our Educator Resources Page.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

K-3 IEFA Art Lessons

People often call Montana a small town with a long Main Street. I love it when Teaching Montana History can help bridge the distances on that Main Street by facilitating community among practitioners. That's why I was particularly delighted that Roy art teacher Shelly Willmore responded to the recent post Montana History for Kindergarten by sharing some of what she does with K-3 students at her school.  

She wrote: 


Arrowheads and arrowhead shapes molded with Model Magic"I bought some replica arrowheads at a Native American store in Browning and then discuss hunting, arrows and such with the littles and let them have the arrowheads to look at and hold.  I show them the process of making arrowheads through a YouTube video. They are then given model magic to create a replica of an arrowhead of their own. I once again explain this is not how the Natives made them, but I want them to create the shape of the arrowheads made by Native Americans.

Bag of plastic bearclaw beadsI bought a bag of these plastic bear claws years ago.  I'm not sure where I even got them as they have lasted through several classes!  The K's love to make necklaces out of them. I add a choice of beads for them and one bear claw.  We look at Native pictures. We discuss clothing and talk about how this was their jewelry.
  
I have also came across this template of a tepee. After looking at images of and discussing uses and facts of the tepee, I have the little's design images on their tepee and they cut it out and we glue it so that it stands up." She told me later she also has her students watch a YouTube video on setting up a tepee. I hadn't realized how useful YouTube could be! 


I ran Shelley's activities by Mike Jetty over at the OPI's Indian Education Division, who stressed the importance of showing real tribal images with these activities while emphasizing tribal diversity (Essential Understanding #1). For example, he encouraged teachers to show pictures of different tribes' tepees and to talk with their students about the fact that different tribes set tepees up differently and have different cultural practices when it comes to decorating them as part of the model tepee activity. 

Thank you, Shelly, for sharing these ideas and pictures! I know K-3 teachers across the state appreciate it as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment