September 15-16 @ Great Falls College MSU
October 6-7 @ Miles Community College
Click here to register.
Immerse yourself in the rich history of your local area. You are invited to participate in a professional development opportunity through the Library of Congress. This opportunity is being offered through the collaboration of the Montana Regional Education Area III (MRESA3), Prairie Educational Service Area (PESA), and Montana North Central Educational Service Region (MNCESR). This professional development will provide “hands on” exploration of the Library of Congress and homesteading in Montana using local resources.
There will be two-day workshops held in two locations: Great Falls and Miles City. After the initial two-day workshops participants will receive additional support through the 2017-2018 school year, using webinars and Edchats. There will be a culminating one-day celebration in June 2018 in Lewistown. At this celebration, participants will share lessons or exhibits that they have created and used.
Workshop Leaders: Ruth Ferris and Kathi Hoyt
Ruth and Kathi are experienced trainers in the Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Resources program. They have both presented throughout Montana and beyond. Both are librarians in the Billings Public Schools and are Indian Education for All presenters for MRESA3.
- Immersion in the practice of teaching with primary sources from the unparalleled collections of the Library of Congress
- Build partnerships between educators and local museum staff
- Incorporate Indian Education for All into content curriculum
- Apply to attend a two-day workshop for K-12 educators and museum personnel.
- Choose a workshop site
- —Great Falls, September 15-16, Great Falls College MSU
- Miles City, October 6-7, Miles Community College
- K-12 teachers
- Museum staff and volunteers
- One two-day workshop
- On-line Webinars
- Creation of a lesson or exhibit
- Culminating celebration in June 2018
- Best Practices using Primary Sources
- OPI Renewal Credits (free)
- Stipend for travel expenses
- Great Falls: September 15-16, 2017
- Miles City: October 6-7, 2017
- Webinar: October 24, 2017
- Edchat: November 14, 2017
- Webinar: January 16, 2018
- Edchat: February 13, 2018
- Webinar: March 13, 2018
- Edchat: April 10, 2018``
- Culminating Celebration: Lewistown: June 11, 2018
- All professional development offerings are free
- Each workshop is worth 12 OPI Renewal Units
- Each webinar is worth 1 OPI Renewal Unit
- $100 Stipend for participants for travel expenses after attending workshop